The angle iron came in six foot sections which I cut down slightly to frame out the top. I toyed with the idea to incorporate a corner piece, but after laying it out I decided to go without.
I wanted some character to the angle iron so I drilled holes spaced eight inches apart and used Trex deck screws mainly because I like the color and head shape. It also added some rigidity to the structure.
I initially wanted to build a tying bench out of reclaimed lumber so I found a place in Zumbrota, MN called Signature Woods. They deconstruct old barns and re-purpose or sell it. So one day after work I made the trip down. While They didn't have enough of the lumber I was looking for, I managed to walk away with a couple great pieces. I later turned those boards into shelves. Plan B was to find thick wide planks which I found at the Home Depot along with inch and a half angle iron.
I din't go all out sanding the top as I wanted to leave it somewhat rough. The stain I used was a light gray to give it a weathered look. After brushing it on, I quickly wiped it off giving it a light finish with wide grain untouched.
This was a pretty inexpensive build except for the the legs which I bought off etsy.
Before assembling the finished desk I sprayed the legs and angle iron with a flat black. Putting the desk together went really smooth and it quickly took shape.
The next step to make it tying desk was embedding two inch dowels for spool holders. 100 dowels later I realized I may need to pair down my threads and wires.
I still have some work do; I'd like to carve out a square and place in a catch pan for trimmings. I'm also debating planting the vice with thumb screw.
It's now set up downstairs in my developing man cave. Giving up my roll top I've lost a ton of storage so I bought and old 24 compartment small parts cabinet which is working out nicely. I also invested in a new office chair so I can tie in comfort. It's a little different than what I intended, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.